ATEX Zone 1 Definition - What is Zone 1?
A Zone 1 area is classified as a place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air or flammable substances in the form of gas, vapour or mist is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally. These are typically process areas where gases are more likely to be present.
For Zone 1 applications, we use passive protection technology: Ex-tec 2G for electric materials handling equipment, and Euromech 2G for diesel equipment. Pyroban is able to convert equipment to meet Zone 1 requirements for use across the world. We are able to meet the following legal certifications:
- ATEX – Europe
- GB – China
- NEC - USA
- IECEx – International
The use of explosion protection equipment in a potentially hazardous area is something which is a requirement from both the user and supplier of the Ex-proof equipment. For example, European ATEX legislation has two different directives for the user and the supplier:
ATEX 1999/92/EC - For industries that operate with potentially explosive atmospheres
ATEX 1999/92/EC requires companies to manage the risk and the process safely. Companies should:
- Prevent the formation of explosive atmospheres in the workplace OR avoid the ignition of explosive atmospheres
- Conduct a hazardous area risk assessment including the likelihood of explosive atmospheres and a source of ignition
- Classify the workplaces into hazardous area Zones depending on the frequency and time that an explosive atmosphere is present in the form of gas, vapour, powder or dust. For example:
- ATEX Zone 1 (high risk gas/vapour)
- ATEX Zone 2 (medium risk gas/vapour)
- ATEX Zone 21 (high risk powder/dust)
- ATEX Zone 22 (medium risk powder/dust)
- Mark areas with signs at point of entry
- Create and maintain an explosion protection document
- Select ATEX 2014/34/EU compliant equipment according to the intended Zones
ATEX 2014/34/EU (previously 94/9/EC) - For industries that supply equipment into hazardous area
Equipment for operation in hazardous areas must comply with the requirements of ATEX 2014/34/EU Directive and be suitably protected. Equipment is built to a level of protection known as a category which matches the risk.
- Category 2G/Zone 1
- Category 3G/Zone 2
- Category 2D/Zone 21
- Category 3D/Zone 22
EXPLOSION PROTECTION FOR LIFT TRUCKS IN ZONE 1
We offer explosion protection conversions for lift trucks, reach trucks, pallet and stacker trucks, VNA and pickers. Conversions take place at Pyroban in the UK.
We also provide lift truck conversion solutions for other hazardous areas, including Zone 2 – ATEX 3G conversions with Gas detection (system6000), Zone 2 – ATEX 3G conversions without Gas detection, Zone 21 – ATEX 2D conversions, Zone 22 – ATEX 3D conversions and added safety systems.
EXPLOSION PROTECTION FOR CRANES, ACCESS PLATFORMS, SCRUBBER DRIERS…
For Cherry Pickers, scissor lifts, cranes, access platforms, scrubber driers, tractors and more, Pyroban provides ATEX compliant conversions for use in Zone 1, 2, 21 and 22
EXPLOSION PROTECTION COMPONENTS
Pyroban manufactures a wide range of explosion proof (ATEX) components certified for use in hazardous areas.