Zone 22 Definition - What is Zone 22?
A Zone 22 area is classified as an atmosphere where a mixture of air and flammable substances in the form of powder or dust is not likely to occur in normal operation, but if it does occur, will persist for a short period only. These are typically storage areas but can also be process areas.
For Zone 22 applications, we use passive protection technology: Dust-tec 3D for electric materials handling equipment, and Dustmech 3D for diesel equipment. Pyroban can convert equipment to Zone 22 standards for use across the world. We are able to meet the following legal certifications:
- ATEX – Europe
- GB – China
- NEC - USA
- IECEx – International
The use of explosion protection equipment in a potentially hazardous area is something which is a requirement from both the user and supplier of the Ex-proof equipment. For example, European ATEX legislation has two different directives for the user and the supplier:
ATEX 1999/92/EC - For industries that operate with potentially explosive atmospheres
ATEX 1999/92/EC requires companies to manage the risk and the process safely. Companies should:
- Prevent the formation of explosive atmospheres in the workplace OR avoid the ignition of explosive atmospheres
- Conduct a hazardous area risk assessment including the likelihood of explosive atmospheres and a source of ignition
- Classify the workplaces into hazardous area Zones depending on the frequency and time that an explosive atmosphere is present in the form of gas, vapour, powder or dust. For example:
- Zone 1 (high risk gas/vapour)
- Zone 2 (medium risk gas/vapour)
- Zone 21 (high risk powder/dust)
- Zone 22 (medium risk powder/dust)
- Mark areas with signs at point of entry
- Create and maintain an explosion protection document
- Select ATEX 2014/34/EU compliant equipment according to the intended Zones Equipment such as forklift trucks, access platforms, sweepers, cranes etc can all be converted so that they are ATEX 2014/34/EU explosion proof compliant for use in classified hazardous areas under DSEAR or ATEX 1999/92/EC.
ATEX 2014/34/EU (previously 94/9/EC) - For industries that supply equipment into hazardous area
Equipment for operation in hazardous areas must comply with the requirements of ATEX 2014/34/EU Directive and be suitably protected. Equipment is built to a level of protection known as a category which matches the risk.
- Category 2G/Zone 1
- Category 3G/Zone 2
- Category 2D/Zone 21
- Category 3D/Zone 22
Pyroban offers solutions for companies wishing to convert standard equipment so that it is safe for use in Zone 22 hazardous areas.
EXPLOSION PROTECTION FOR LIFT TRUCKS IN ZONE 22
We offer explosion protection conversions for lift trucks, reach trucks, pallet and stacker trucks, VNA and pickers. Conversions take place at Pyroban in the UK.
We also provide lift truck conversion solutions for other hazardous areas.
EXPLOSION PROTECTION FOR CRANES, ACCESS PLATFORMS, SCRUBBER DRIERS…
For Cherry Pickers, scissor lifts, cranes, access platforms, scrubber driers, tractors and more, Pyroban provides ATEX compliant conversions for use in Zone 1, 2, 21 and 22
EXPLOSION PROTECTION COMPONENTS
Pyroban manufactures a wide range of explosion proof (ATEX) components certified for use in hazardous areas.