ATEX Zone 21 Definition - What is Zone 21?
A Zone 21 area is classified as a place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air or flammable substances in the form of powder or dust is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally. These are typically process areas where dusts and powders are more likely to be present.
For Zone 21 applications, we use passive protection technology: Dust-tec 2D for electric materials handling equipment, and Dustmech 2D for diesel equipment. Pyroban are able to convert equipment to meet Zone 21 requirements for use across the world. We are able to meet the following legal certifications:
- ATEX – Europe
- GB – China
- NEC - USA
- IECEx – International
The use of explosion protection equipment in a potentially hazardous area is something which is a requirement from both the user and supplier of the Ex-proof equipment. For example, European ATEX legislation has two different directives for the user and the supplier:
ATEX 1999/92/EC - For industries that operate with potentially explosive atmospheres
ATEX 1999/92/EC requires companies to manage the risk and the process safely. Companies should:
- Prevent the formation of explosive atmospheres in the workplace OR avoid the ignition of explosive atmospheres
- Conduct a hazardous area risk assessment including the likelihood of explosive atmospheres and a source of ignition
- Classify the workplaces into hazardous area Zones depending on the frequency and time that an explosive atmosphere is present in the form of gas, vapour, powder or dust. For example:
- ATEX Zone 1 (high risk gas/vapour)
- ATEX Zone 2 (medium risk gas/vapour)
- ATEX Zone 21 (high risk powder/dust)
- ATEX Zone 22 (medium risk powder/dust)
- Mark areas with signs at point of entry
- Create and maintain an explosion protection document
- Select ATEX 2014/34/EU compliant equipment according to the intended Zones. Equipment such as forklift trucks, diesel engines, access platforms, sweepers, cranes etc can all be converted so that they are ATEX 2014/34/EU explosion proof compliant for use in classified hazardous areas under DSEAR or ATEX 1999/92/EC.
ATEX 2014/34/EU (previously 94/9/EC) - For industries that supply equipment into hazardous area
Equipment for operation in hazardous areas must comply with the requirements of ATEX 2014/34/EU Directive and be suitably protected. Equipment is built to a level of protection known as a category which matches the risk.
- Category 2G/Zone 1
- Category 3G/Zone 2
- Category 2D/Zone 21
- Category 3D/Zone 22
Pyroban offers solutions for companies wishing to convert standard equipment so that it is safe for use in Zone 21 hazardous areas.
EXPLOSION PROTECTION FOR LIFT TRUCKS IN ZONE 21
We offer explosion protection conversions for lift trucks, reach trucks, pallet and stacker trucks, VNA and pickers. Conversions take place at Pyroban in the UK.
We also convert equipment for Zone 1, 2 and 22.
EXPLOSION PROTECTION FOR CRANES, ACCESS PLATFORMS, SCRUBBER DRIERS…
For Cherry Pickers, scissor lifts, cranes, access platforms, scrubber driers, tractors and more, Pyroban provides ATEX compliant conversions for use in Zone 1, 2, 21 and 22
EXPLOSION PROTECTION COMPONENTS
Pyroban manufactures a wide range of explosion proof (ATEX) components certified for use in hazardous areas.